Monday, January 14, 2008

Emacs Tip #10: sig-quote (intelligent, random signatures)

Way back when I first started using Emacs, I read email with it. A friend had some script which modified his .signature file with a random quote every 30 seconds. I thought that was kind of neat, but I wanted every email to get its own, random, quote. At the time I didn't know how to get a random number in a simple shell script, so I started writing something using Emacs directly.

A random signature wasn't enough though, I then wanted to be able to have different categories of quotes and send different people quotes from those different categories. From the documentation:


;; This mode is designed to allow a user to have quotes appended to
;; their mail and news posts according to whom/where the mail is
;; being sent. For example, one might wish to have "insightful"
;; quotes sent to Prof. Apple, and "crude" quotes to your brother
;; Sam. With this mode, upon sending a piece of mail, the email
;; addresses are scanned (this includes the To:, CC:, and BCC:
;; headers), and an appropriate quote is inserted into the letter.


Thus began my Emacs fascination.

You can download the source here.

4 comments:

Eric TF Bat said...

Any chance you can change or fix the CSS for your code sections, so they grow some scrollbars when they're too wide for the column? I think the trick is to put "overflow: auto" in the appropriate place. Thanks.

a said...

I just use vanilla Blogger, which (AFAIK) doesn't give me control like that. I need to figure out a system for displaying the code snippets better.

FWIW, I now post all my code via the Emacs wiki.

I'll look into other options available to Blogger.

Sacha Chua said...

Better yet, use % to delimit the quotes (like the fortune.el and fortune cookie package), and use BBDB to store the signature customizations.

See my post on Crazy Emacs: Personalized signatures with random taglines - I don't use fortune there, but you get the idea. =)

a said...

Interesting idea. I tried using BBDB once (not for signatures), but it didn't work as expected, so I dropped it.

With respect to doing this kind of integration (BBDB and fortune-style delimiters), that's interesting. I'd probably look at something like that if I were actively developing it for sure. The only catch I see with the fortune delimiters is that sig-quote needs a way to group the quotes together. Perhaps it could be changed to be a directory, with one file per quote (fortune delimited). Hmmm...